Waste & Disposal
Reduction of waste is the main objective of waste management. Most of the waste generated consists of waste products and trim (cut off nonwoven and plastic). In Attends, extensive recycling program has resulted in approximately 60% of the total waste currently goes to various forms of recycling. The remaining 40% consists of energy recovery in waste incinerators and power plants. Landfill is near 0%.
Reducing waste generated in production is one of our most important goals. Attends has reduced the total amount of waste generated per product by one third by optimizing product design and production processes. Work on this is part of the daily monitoring of production performance and is included as a goal in all change projects.
Attends have a program for sorting 36 types of waste. The purpose is to enable an optimal management of each material with respect to environmental impact and cost effectiveness.
The materials that go into recycling sold to various buyers in Sweden and Europe. Examples of materials recycled is product waste, product trim (edge cutting waste), waste polyethylene and nonwoven, discarded paper, plastic packaging, corrugated packaging, cores / Bobbins, etc.
Where no recycling opportunity found or where the recovery system is currently lacking at Attends, the waste will then be used for energy recovery. Material that is of high caloric value and have good energy characteristics (briquettes of dust control) goes to a power plant where they are burned with biofuels. Mixed waste material goes to a waste incineration plant. Common to both combustion types is that energy and heat recovery.